The Edward N. Brandt, Jr. Memorial Lecture in Women’s Health is an annual lectureship jointly created and sponsored by The George Washington University, Jacobs Institute of Women's Health, Milken Institute School of Public Health, and the Hudson College of Public Health at The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
Created to honor Dr. Edward N. Brandt, Jr., former Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services, the lecture features leading researchers, policymakers and advocates who promote women's health.
Dr. Brandt is often called the “Godfather of Women's Health” for his leadership and support of women in the sciences and research on women’s health. Dr. Brandt is known for many contributions to health care, including his leadership of the federal response to HIV/AIDS. After leaving HHS, he served as president of the University of Maryland, School of Medicine before returning to the University of Oklahoma as executive dean of the medical school. He taught medicine there until his death in 2007.
Past Brandt Lecturers:
- Dr. Jamila Perritt, President & CEO, Physicians for Reproductive Health (2023)
- Dr. Rachel Levine, Assistant Secretary for Health, US Department of Health and Human Services (2021 - video here)
- The Honorable Lauren Underwood, U.S. Representative from Illinois's 14th District (2019)
- Fatima Goss Graves, President and CEO of National Women's Law Center (2018)
- The Honorable Pat Schroeder, former U.S. Representative from Colorado's 1st District (2017)
- Cecile Richards, President of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (2016 lecture, delivered 2017)
- Lynn Paltrow, Executive Director, National Advocates for Pregnant Women (2015)
- Dr. Margaret Hamburg, Commissioner of Food and Drugs (2014)
- Dr Nadine Gracia, MD, MSCE, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Minority Health (2013)
- Dr. Mary Wakefield, PhD, RN, Administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration (2012)
- Dr. Nancy C. Lee, M.D., Deputy Assistant Secretary Women’s Health, Director Office of Women’s Health, Office of the Secretary, Health and Human Services (2011)
- Dr. Vivian Pinn, M.D. Associate Director of the National Institutes of Health, Director, Office of Research on Women's Health (2010)
- Dr. Carolyn Clancy, M.D., Director, Agency for Heathcare Research and Quality (2009)
- Karen Davis, Ph.D. President, The Commonwealth Fund (2008)